Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Now we're cooking with.....Wheat???

An interesting twist of events today I was hauling my 77 NewYorker to my friend's farm today to store it for the spring. A beautiful car I only wish I could drive more often but with gas prices as high as they are, it's just not possible. I estimate that the car would use almost 22L to drive 100KM.

But anyways, I digress... my friend who's being kind enough to store it for me informed me of a Stove that burns wheat. It's more like a fireplace just like the kind that burn those wooden pellets but instead it's grain. What is the price of wheat at? Maybe like $2 a bushel (5 gallon pail) if it's even that expensive. These stoves burn about a bushel of wheat/day to keep the building heated. $2/day X 7 days a week = $14 X 4 weeks/month = about $60/month. Heat is only needed for about 8 months of the year tops (in my part of the world). $60 X 8 = $480/year total heating costs. Some people on Equalization payments might pay $125 a month for Gas to Saskenergy. Or like $350 a month if they arn't. The Savings you would have in 2 years would pay for the stove. Which cost in the area of $3000. Even if you had 2 of them in your house, your fuel costs would would still be 1/3 less than a forced air Natural Gas or Liquid Propane funace.

I can see it now...instead of a guy driving up and down streets filling tanks with heating oil...they fill hoppers with grain. Natural Gas lines are capped. Think about how much safer grain burners would be. No more pipeline explosions.

It makes Conservative sense too...because there would be no need for SaskEnergy anymore so there's one less Crown Corporation for the NDP to throw money into. Taxes would be reduced as well.

Living off-grid would be much easier as well.
For more info, go to: www.noutilitybills.com

1 comment:

Pilot said...

Go renewable Plant-souce fuels!