Monday, November 07, 2005

Fuel Efficinetcy follow-up+ CHALLANGE!!

I just returned from the RGC today, about a 100km journey, or 66 Miles roughly. I decided to measure how much fuel my Swift uses. I found the number to be around 7.57L for 105km it works out to around 34 MPG. The Swift is a 1990 and has a 1.3L 4-cylinder engine and 5-speed manual transmission. Using the same maths, I found that my dad's car, a 1989 Pontiac Firefly with a 1.0L 3-cylinder engine with an automatic transmission, uses 5.25L/105km. I think it works out to something like 45 MPG. Not too shabby. These engines have some miles on them, but my dad's car has been consistant even in 89 it was getting 45-47 tops. I remember the dealer was trying to say that the 3-cylinder Firefly,Sprint,Metros could get 66MPG but I think that is a little far fetched. I had a 1995 Firefly once upon a time and it had a 3-cylinder with a 5 speed and it got about 48-52MPG.

I'm curious to know what the actual fuel economy of a Honda Insight would be. They claim it is around 76MPG which means it would use less than a gallon (or 3.8L) of fuel to drive 100KM.
They are built for economy with the hybrid technology, streamlined drag resistant designs (right down to the skirting over the rear wheels). They are also a 2 seater car (weight reduction). Note: for every 10 lbs. you can take out of your car you increase Horse Power by 1 therefore increasing your economy. Time to take out all that garbage that's been collecting in the hatch...LOL

Here's the challange for you (though it's not overly challanging. It's more about Data collection.
For those of us in the SE corner of this province who make the odd or even frequent trip to the RGC, I propose to you this challange. All you need to do is this:

1. Next time you take a trip around 100KM FILL UP YOUR CAR full of fuel (almost overflowing to keep the data accurate).

2. Drive your car the distance stated 100ish KM. (try to keep your speed between 95-105 if possible).

3. Find the closest gas station you can find and fill up again to almost overflowing.

4. Get a reciept for the fuel for your records

5. Post your Litres used (which will be the amount you filled after the trip) on this website, along with the Make, Model, Year, Engine/tranmission type.

This is for highway driving only.

For the city I plan another experiment. I will fill the car every 100km of city driving for a total of 5 times and average the litres used out. That should give me an approximate ACTUAL fuel usage in the city.

I estimate my car uses gets about 23 MPG in the city (based on my highway performance).

Drive safely and happy motoring:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

7 litres per 100km for my '03 cavalier, and i think it's efficiency, not efoefaoitcy :)