Thursday, December 22, 2005

Are Xmas parties going south!

Tis the season to talk about staff xmas parties. We all have them (those of us that work a steady job). The Staff Christmas party is supposed to be a time for the management/owners of businesses to show appreciation for their employees. Well I tell you I've never felt more under-appreciated by an employer than at my xmas party last sunday.

First of all, staff had about 6 days heads up.
During the first 4 of those days...we weren't allowed to bring guests.
We were given 3 free drinks/person
Deep fried appetizers (which of course I can't eat), 5 large pizzas and fruit were provided for supper.

The "party" started at 6:00pm I arrived a little late but missed nothing.
There was NO entertainment other than we could choose the radio station to listen to, and there was free pool (which is free all the time anyways).
No gift exchange

The only people I really talked to were Pilot the breakfast cook (who broke up with his gf that day), Katie (the cool lesbian girl from front desk) and Rhonda (my gf). We played a thrilling game of Ker-plunk and I learned how to play 3-hand Cribbage. Around 9:00ish I was off to the bar to get Rhonda a drink when I found out that "Last Call" had already been called. Now I know that as a bartender....you can't just say you've given last call without going to everycustomer (whether they are drinking/loitering) and telling them it's last call. The owner turned red and said "take one quick beer". I still had about 3 drink tickets left which I wasn't going to have the chance to spend (this night anyways ha ha ha).

So there ends the party we drank up and were all kicked out by 9:30PM
I still thanked the owner. I'm sure if he had planned the event would have drank with us all night.

I worked out the costs involved
Pizza = $100
Drinks for about 20 people = $105
Apps = $50 (tops)
Total = $255
Respect left for management = NONE

2 comments:

Pilot said...

Yeah that party was fucking bunk.

Pilot said...

Jeff, I'd like to add that many of the appy's and booze were supplied for free (samplers) by our suppliers. The cost certainly is considerably less than you listed.