Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Echo's don't off-road well

So I'm comming home from Cannington today and I decided to take the 603 Grid to Manor rather than drive through the Rez because there's more pavement out that way (2km more). It has been Raining since 3 in the morning and I thought it was a better idea. so about 6 KM down the road there's a huge patch of quicksand basically. I coulnd't see it until about 3 seconds before I hit it. Down sinks the Echo at 80 KM/hour. Still moving though because rule #1 of driving in muck...NEVER TOUCH THE BRAKE. The ass end of the car starts to slip and veers right while the front end starts to slip left. I still have my foot on the gas because you have to keep the tires moving or else again, sink. I gave the wheel a light crank to the right and started to pull out of my jack-knife. I was bracing for the impact with the ditch (and probably a roll) when it pulled out and back on the road. Mud was flying up all over the cab, and I still had a fair stretch to go before I was out of trouble. I was able to keep the front wheels relativiely straight for the remainder of the mud patch but the ass end still slid around and I wabbled around back and fourth in the cab until I finally hit some solid ground. Needless to say I almost lost the car and it's covered in mud, but I arrived in one peice.

Tomorrow I'm going to jump it over a gorge.
J.B.

5 comments:

Pilot said...

Definetly one of the funniest things you've ever said/done/written.

Love it

Anonymous said...

Almost as funny as when you threw the drunk outa the bar for dumping your ttothpicks.

Anonymous said...

Well the name might make you think tat it would do awesome on moguls. Better test it out to be sure.

Anonymous said...

i'd pay to see you jump it over a gorge... i double dog dare you...

Saskboy said...

Good luck with the gorge. I considered buying an Echo, how good is the gas milage on it?

Sorry fto go offtopic, but I'm just writing to let you know you're
invited to an outdoor get-together for Sask Bloggers on Saturday July 22nd in Regina. If you would like more information, visit Saskboy or Stephen Glauser and let us know if you can attend.
http://www.stephenglauser.com/2006/05/saskblogs_meet_2006.html
http://www.abandonedstuff.com/2006/05/28/saskblogs_meet_2006/

SaskBlogs http://saskblogs.catprint.ca/

Sincerely,
Saskboy